Mikveh Bess Israel
Shomeret Job Description
The mission of Mikveh Bess Israel of Greater Hartford is to provide the Jewish community with a safe and sacred space for cleansing and purification. Mikveh Bess Israel was founded by European immigrants in 1852 as part of their effort to develop permanent Jewish roots in the Hartford Area. A century later, Holocaust survivors saw in the mikveh a source of renewal in their adopted home. The Greater Hartford community mikveh remains the source spring of enduring Jewish life today. Mikveh Bess Israel serves the entire spectrum of the Jewish community, including Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Jews.
Mikveh Bess Israel is currently looking for a new Shomeret to start in the summer of 2019. This role plays a huge part in facilitating the purity of the Jewish people, and there are many blessings associated with this. Being a Shomeret should not be looked at as just a “job” but rather as “Avodat Kodesh” – a holy task. Here in West Hartford, the mikveh services people from around the region and across the Jewish spectrum. The Shomeret should be a role model to all who see her. Each person’s experience with the mikveh should be positive, and it is the role of the Shomeret to be warm, welcoming, and non-judgemental to every visitor.
The roles and responsibilities of this position include:
- Being the point of contact for all mikveh appointments scheduled by women and local rabbis for conversions
- Maintaining the security of the building including regulating hours for men’s daily and weekly use
- Availability to act as shomeret on shabbat and chagim
- Scheduling appointments for upkeep of the facility and being present for those appointments
- Maintaining laundry on a regular basis
- Accommodating needs of the users including availability on short notice for appointments
- Must be trained in and knowledgeable about the laws of Taharat Hamishpacha and diligent in attending training opportunities on a regular basis.
- Providing empathy and resources to users presenting with special circumstances
- Maintaining the facility in a thoroughly clean and sanitary condition at all times, including between appointments.
- Ensuring that the entire premises of the facility is in good appearance.
- Being responsible for maintaining all supplies for all aspects of mikveh function, and establishing and keeping records of all suppliers and the schedule of purchase for all supplies.
- Managing modest amount of building upkeep
- Assisting to create educational materials for programs run by the organization offered to the greater Jewish community
The compensation for this position consists of a gracious 3-bedroom apartment on the Mikveh premises, earned time off and maternity leave.
For more information about the organization, please visit mikvehbessisrael.org. For more information about the position and to apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. l